openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Document won't open
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:30:50 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:08:44 -0500
"Nicholas Micalone" <njmx1@juno.com> wrote:

> Open Office documents do not open when clicking on a document in "Documents". A document
will open in Sandboxie, recover mode; however, in front of the title is a tilde and the word
"Lock".
> I have attached a screen shot. Please help. I have spent many hours trying to unlock
via File Assassin and scanned three times each with Avast, Malwarebytes and Kasperski, all
to no avail. No viruses found.
> My OS is Windows XP SP3, Duckduckgo as a search engine and Firefox as the browser. I
am somewhat of a newbie (barely graduated Computer 101 after the third go-around).
> Thanx; Nick M.
>
> ---

First of all, try starting OpenOffice and use /File /Open  (or /File /Recent Documents) to
see if your file will open that way. If so, you may need to remake the File Associations to
allow files open by double clicking on them.

The "lock" file is a small (typically 300/400 byte) housekeeping file generated by OpenOffice
to prevent multiple writes to an open file; it contains no useful data from the original file
and you should waste no further time trying to open it. It may safely be deleted. The main
file with which this housekeeping file is associated is at least 6KB and possibly much larger.
If the "lock" file is left, it is indicative of OpenOffice or the computer having crashed.

If a system wide file search doesn't find the main file then you should examine two locations
pointed to withing OpenOffice by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. These locations are
Temporar Files and Backups. In the Backup directory, depending on your OO settings, you may
have a .bak file, which could contain an earlier version of your main file. In the Temporary
directory, if there are files of about the correct date/time/size, with names such as aadgh.hyu,
rename these to type .odt and see if they will open.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>