openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:30:44 GMT

Anthony J. Rudgers wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> The present "hashtag" problem is is symptomatic of the entire OO
> software suite.  An ordinary user of OO, doing ordinary things w/ a
> word processor or other office-suite software, suddenly gets
> something that is really screwy, & doesn't know what to do to fix
> it.  Much of their production gets lost, or else, they spend a lot
> of time attempting to get their WP document or spreadsheet the way
> they want it by trying again & again to get around built-in or
> default features (or bugs!) of OO that they don't understand or
> know how to modify (& OO documentation, as I have found, is meager
> & inadequate).  Unless you're a long-time & dedicated user, the OO
> suite never seems to do quite what you'd like it to do & you
> usually can't figure out how to fix things ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER W/
> YOUR EXISTING SOFTWARE.  One has to have the ability to fix things
> quickly on their own w/o "going to the experts" every time a
> problem w/ OO arises!  For the casual user, the OO product appears
> flawed.  People who use any software product want to spend their
> time & creativity on what they are developing, rather than spending
> time & effort on issues associated w/ the tool they are using to
> develop it. OO office software needs much effort to make it more
> efficient, largely error-free, & much more user friendly.
>
> Beat wishes,
>
> Anthony J. Rudgers Orlando, FL U.S.A.

Mr. Rudgers;

Though your criticism bears much truth I feel it over emphasizes
certain aspects. Many of the support questions that are seen here and
on the forums are in the ways that AOO differs from other software of
the same type.

Most of my 20+ years in industry were spent in doing direct support
and I know from experience that many "ordinary users" frequntly do not
even bother to consult the help resources that are available or just
complain that it does not work like xyz did.

This particular problem is one that is very difficult to track down
because it happens so infrequently that it is difficult for QA and
developers to replicate.

You say that documentation is meager and inadequate. I would direct
you to
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters.
Though these are for Version 3.3 much of the information they contain
is relevant to later versions, including version 4.0.1. Also available
is a getting started guide for version 3.4 from
http://www.odfauthors.org/apache-openoffice/english/user-guides/getting-started-3.4/published.

There is an ongoing documentation effort to create up to date
documentation for Version 4 and beyond on the wiki. We are always
looking for volunteers to help with this effort and could use your
knowledge and skills in this effort. More information can be found at
our orientation page at
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html.

All software is imperfect and has bugs. The only way any software
product to improve is open and honest dialog between all parties. This
is specially true for Open Source Software. Honest discussion on
venues such as this and clear reports of possible bugs in the projects
Bugzilla tracking system at https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ are ways
that all users can help make this a better product. The QA volunteers
have provided excellent hints for creating good bug reports in
Bugzilla at https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna