openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 19:25:49 GMT
On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> I've clipped the previous messages as this posting doesn't depend on them.
> Rob suggests the following queries be put to Hashtag/file loss posters. I've added some
choices to the file save destinations.  Are there other questions that should be asked? Once
we reach agreement on the questions I'm sure the Forum will use this questionaire to gather
information on hashtag/file loss cases.

> 1) What AOO version is in use?
> 2) What OS version?
> 3) What file type (extension) was being saved?
> 4) Where was the file being saved?  Local Drive? USB stick?  Network drive? External
drive?
> 5) Is autosaved enabled?
> 6) When you returned to your computer was it in the same state?  For
>  example, had you lost power?  Did the OS force a reboot?  Did your
>  laptop hibernate?

Thanks, maybe the generic "Was there anything unusual/special about
the document that might be relevant?"

Consider one possible failure mode:  When a document is saved
OpenOffice needs to iterate over all the styles, content and metadata
in the document and write it out in the correct format, by default
ODF.  If there was a a bug in that process that caused a crash, it
could be with a very specific aspect of the document, e.g., only with
documents with more than 256 styles, or only documents with 24 bit PNG
images, or only images with more than 16 fields in a header.
Something specific like that.   In this failure mode, if it actually
is occurring, the specific area would need to be rare enough that most
users never see it.  It would not be something, for example, that you
would likely not see if you used only the default templates.

So maybe:  What is the general history of this document?  Was it
create from scratch in this version of OpenOffice?  Was it created in
an older version of OpenOffice?   Originally imported from a Microsoft
Word document?  Was it based on a default template or a custom one
that you created?

Regards,

-Rob