openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 16:05:25 GMT
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:
> Sadly, quite nothing to do, see:
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677 where you'll
> see that I've recorded more than 150 occurrences of this problem.

And there were 368 reported UFO sightings in December:
http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxe201312.html

But I'm not rushing to learn Klingon...

If you search Google for phrases like "Word document lost when saving"
you'll see 100's of reports of this as well.

> I've raised this issue on the dev mailing list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg15177.html and
> interest has been slightly raised (new comments in the bug report) but this
> is a difficult problem that can't be reproduced, hence very difficult to
> spot. Nevertheless, even in case of bug, the save process could be improved
> IMHO.
> Any power shortage?
>
> Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo
> Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file
> having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it to .odt and
> cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files
> still there.

It would be great to ask for information like this whenever someone
reports this kind of problem.  150 reports without this detail are
useless.  But even 10 reports with this detail might indicate a
pattern.

1) What AOO version is in use?

2) What OS version?

3) What file type (extension) was being saved?

4) Where was the file being saved?  USB?  Network drive?

5) Is autosaved enabled?

6) When you returned to your computer was it in the same state?  For
example, had you lost power?  Did the OS force a reboot?  Did your
laptop hibernate?

Just anecdotally, and without deeper analysis, I see a number of
reports on OpenOffice and with Microsoft Office, where a USB memory
stick is being used.   Savvy users know how to properly remove a
memory stick.  But not all users do.  This can cause problems.

Another case to watch out for is old Wordperfect files.   A user saves
a WPD file, upgrades OOo 3.3.0 to AOO 4.0.1 and now their file won't
open.  But this is due to the loss of WPD support, not due to damage
to the file, though the symptoms look the same at first.

Another thing to look for is a forced reboot, the kind that recent
versions of Windows do when installing a critical security patch.
Some antivirus software does this as well.  If you have a document
loaded in OpenOffice with unsaved changed, and have autosave enabled,
and leave your machine on for a week, with OpenOffice running, and a
system restart is forced, what will happen?  Is there a correlation to
problems in that scenario?

Regards,

-Rob