openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Anthony J. Rudgers" <>
Subject Re: Reading and Exporting spreadsheets--another commentary
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2014 01:07:23 GMT
Greetings All,

Here's (imho) another example of the symptoms of the coding flaws inherent
in the present OOo software suite.  You do something according to one set of
seemingly-valid protocols & get one result (or, perhaps, non-result), & then
you do it according to another set of also-valid protocols, & get an
entirely different result (or non-result).   This, at least to me, would
indicate that there are instances of differing, &, consequently,
inconsistent, coding within OOo.  I've experienced a similar inconsistency
in OOo code in another area.

I submit this query.  Do proponents of OOo software, want to deal w/ &
correct such problems, deny they exist, ignore them & "move on" (as embodied
in the posting: "I'm tired of this thread, can't we talk about something
else?"), throw up their hands & say that such inherent problems are just "a
fact of life--so live w/ them," or, simply, verbally abuse & belittle the
OOo users who point them out to this "community"?

Best wishes,

Anthony J. Rudgers
Orlando, FL U.S.A.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arthur Schwarz
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 6:48 PM
Subject: Reading and Exporting spreadsheets

I created and saved a spreadsheet, 'ods' ,document. When I try to read it
using my cygwin alias "alias ods='/ProgramFiles86/OpenOffice\
4/program/scalc.exe'" it (basically) says "what's that" but when I use open
office directly and use "Recent Documents" it seems to have no problem. is
my alias correct? I use a similar alias for the writer (alias
odt='/ProgramFiles86/OpenOffice\ 4/program/swriter.exe') and it works fine.

Now comes the real puzzler (for me), when I export the spreadseet as a pdf
file, the cygwin shell doesn't recognize it. That is, 'find', 'ls' don't
recognize the file. It comes up with "no such directory or file. But when I
go to the Windows explorer or import the file using Adobe, no problem. The
filename is there bold as lightning. and I have no issue. On the other hand,
using cygwin, I can't input the file to adobe.

Now for the confounding aspect. Everything works as expected in the writer.
I can create a pdf file, see it in cygwin, open and use it in adobe, list
it, and I guess do everything needful. But not when I create a spreadsheet.

Wait, wait. I have (yet) another mystery. When I open a new shell (but do
not reboot), the new shell shows the created pdf file but now the ods file
is missing. And, contrary to everything above, I can load the pdf file to
adobe in the cygwin shell the exact opposite of above.

Right now it's an irritation but is there something that I've done wrong or
someway to fix the problem so that it shows up in by cygwin shell?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message