openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Martin Groenescheij <Mar...@Groenescheij.COM>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:18:14 GMT

On 5-1-2014 23:23, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> The question should be asked "When does OpenOffice erase the previous copy of the file?".
Surely this should only be after the Save process reaches a conclusion. I can recollect from
my CP/M days that one had to adopt a certain sequence in saving a file for best security.
One saved the file to File.new (say), then renamed File.org to File.bak then renamed File.new
to File.org. Is this or a similar protocol being followed in OO? Perhaps some temporary relief
can be obtained by changing the options in OpenOffice to_always_  generate a backup.
What happens with the backup when you work on a writer and a calc
document e.g. test.odt and test.ods?
I have no idea if test.bak is a writer or a calc document.
What will happen if both backups are made at the same time, would they
corrupt the backup file?
Could something similar happen with auto recovery files?