openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:35:49 GMT
Le 05/01/2014 17:05, Rob Weir a écrit :
> It would be great to ask for information like this whenever someone
> reports this kind of problem.  150 reports without this detail are
> useless.  But even 10 reports with this detail might indicate a
> pattern.
>
> 1) What AOO version is in use?
>
> 2) What OS version?
>
> 3) What file type (extension) was being saved?
>
> 4) Where was the file being saved?  USB?  Network drive?
>
> 5) Is autosaved enabled?
>
> 6) When you returned to your computer was it in the same state?  For
> example, had you lost power?  Did the OS force a reboot?  Did your
> laptop hibernate?

Have you at least read the topic and the post with all the cases I've recorded???
You'll see that most of these information are available. And each linked topic usually have
also these information (with more details of course).
-> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677#p81363

> Just anecdotally, and without deeper analysis, I see a number of
> reports on OpenOffice and with Microsoft Office, where a USB memory
> stick is being used.   Savvy users know how to properly remove a
> memory stick.  But not all users do.  This can cause problems.

None of the 150+ cases I've recorded involve USB drives. Of course we know that case. That's
why I've discarded them systematically.
NB: one more case this very day.

> Another case to watch out for is old Wordperfect files.   A user saves
> a WPD file, upgrades OOo 3.3.0 to AOO 4.0.1 and now their file won't
> open.  But this is due to the loss of WPD support, not due to damage
> to the file, though the symptoms look the same at first.

Again, just read the topic. Most of the files are ODF, some .doc. No exotic format like WPD.

> Another thing to look for is a forced reboot, the kind that recent
> versions of Windows do when installing a critical security patch.
> Some antivirus software does this as well.  If you have a document
> loaded in OpenOffice with unsaved changed, and have autosave enabled,
> and leave your machine on for a week, with OpenOffice running, and a
> system restart is forced, what will happen?  Is there a correlation to
> problems in that scenario?

And?
Even if the boot is forced, as I said, it would be understandable to lose the version that
is currently under edition. But it is unacceptable to lose the saved file.

I know that this is a difficult problem but please stop trying to find a scapegoat.
If nobody wants to investigate, I don't have any problem as long as I don't suffer from this
issue.
But then, just accept the rants from users who lost important data.
NB: I've switched from MS Word to OOo after I lost data. If I ever face this problem, that
would be the end of my use of AOO. Users want reliability first. All the nice features you
can put in an application will never counterbalance any important data loss.

Hagar