openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 14:06:32 GMT
Le 05/01/2014 12:47, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
> A random note if this can help: to study this problem, once I tried to deliberately fill
the hard disk until I had a few MBytes free. Then I opened a heavy presentation file, with
many images, and edited it normally, adding and removing content. An automatic backup failed
(due to the full disk) and I think an error message was displayed (I/O error). I then tried
a save operation, which failed with the same error. But then I was stuck: the file I was editing
was corrupted (the images did not display) and the last saved version on disk was corrupted
too (of course this was a test so I had made a backup before testing). Maybe this deserves
a better investigation.

In this case, at least you've some text remaining and the file is not empty.

> It could be that some or all of these bug reports are due to a full disk (I do know some
people who work with <100 MBytes free on disk, so it's not even a "1 in millions" scenario).
The good thing is that this scenario can be reproduced.

The power shortage is clearly a root cause.
Perhaps we need an old disk to test what happens when we pull the plug during a save operation.

Hagar