openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:47:59 GMT
Hagar Delest wrote:
> losing the file saved last time is just unacceptable, it's a major data
> loss (P1 in the bug tracker). This problem should be investigated as
> seriously as possible.
> No bashing needed, just look at the facts.

The problem here is all with reproducing the bug. OpenOffice has so many
users, on so many systems, that even a problem that occurs, say, once in
ten millions save operations will get reported.

It's a fact that there exist some users who report losing a document.
But it's not even clear if the culprit in those cases is OpenOffice, or
the operating system, or a RAM problem, or a disk failure... Like you,
I've been a regular OpenOffice user for many years and I never had a
similar problem.

A random note if this can help: to study this problem, once I tried to
deliberately fill the hard disk until I had a few MBytes free. Then I
opened a heavy presentation file, with many images, and edited it
normally, adding and removing content. An automatic backup failed (due
to the full disk) and I think an error message was displayed (I/O
error). I then tried a save operation, which failed with the same error.
But then I was stuck: the file I was editing was corrupted (the images
did not display) and the last saved version on disk was corrupted too
(of course this was a test so I had made a backup before testing). Maybe
this deserves a better investigation.

It could be that some or all of these bug reports are due to a full disk
(I do know some people who work with <100 MBytes free on disk, so it's
not even a "1 in millions" scenario). The good thing is that this
scenario can be reproduced.

Regards,
   Andrea.