openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:44:35 GMT
Le 05/01/2014 10:30, Aspects a écrit :
> With apologies, but can we get back to finding a solution to this problem rather than
slagging each other (and AOO) off.

> I have used this suite since version 2 on OS X, Linux and Both 32 and 64-bit versions
of Windows. I have only ever suffered minor glitches with formatting and some eccentricities
with the spell-checker: both of them known and cured at the next minor version update.

So do I (on Windows 2K, XP, Vista, 7, x/ubuntu) and never had this problem (using AOO 8 hours
a day at work on Windows systems).
But there are enough reports to confirm that there IS a problem somewhere. A clear root cause
is power shortage (that is different than just killing the soffice process). What is not clear
for me is if the shortage has to occur during a save process or not and in what step of the
save process. NB: some reports seems to tell that no process was involved during the shortage.
A disk cache issue then?

> This is unusual and sounds very much as if a file format was wrongly applied at the last
save. Can we all concentrate on getting these two problems solved: finding some way of recovering
the document and tracing down the glitch that caused this.

I'm definitively sure that this is not a file format issue: the content of the file is full
of zeros. There is absolutely nothing left. So no recovery possible.

Some will find the rants from users FUD but I do understand such rants. This is a good reason
to be furious against the application. I understand a problem during save process so I would
put up with losing the new version of the file I'm saving (I mean the last edits). But losing
the file saved last time is just unacceptable, it's a major data loss (P1 in the bug tracker).
This problem should be investigated as seriously as possible.
No bashing needed, just look at the facts.

Hagar