openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Think" <thinkta...@gmail.com>
Subject Being Good, was: RE: Reading and Exporting spreadsheets--another commentary
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2014 04:09:55 GMT
I have been quietly watching the notes back and forth and have only once or twice ventured
into the writing and reading space of this list. Once, someone told me I digressed too much
and that I was wrong for having bothered everyone with my verbiage. I was like "wow, dude.
I thought the listserv was for talking about the product."

Since then, I have been watching and reading.

Personally, I am disgusted at how many of you treat each other.

I am an advocate for disabled people. I "yell" at people for a "living" (I don't get paid
for it so I have to use the "".) And even I refuse to stoop so low as to denigrate someone
for being frustrated or for having newbie problems.

I am 53. I coded in Fortran in 1974. I was on a mainframe before most of you knew what a computer
was. I hand coded HTML from the early 90's until 2002. I owned a brand development firm. I
ran five businesses. My largest project management job was a 14million$ project in my early
30's. I am currently relearning CSS after going 12 years without coding a website, because
I was doing other things. I am learning it so I can direct our web designer and our back end
coder.

Open office is interesting to me because our project, the elai Project, will be licensed wholly
under the Creative Commons License. So I wanted to specify one all purpose software package
for the project, and for every organization that adopts the package. Initially, elai will
help to make libraries completely accessible to disabled people. Hospitals are next, with
police stations, and many other locally, state and federally funded organizations following.

But after watching you guys take pot shots at each other and work from an "I don't have to
be nice to anyone" paradigm, I am about to throw in the towel on OO or alternatively to warn
elai Project participants to stay away from the listserv.

Be nice. Grow up. Get outside of yourselves and help each other. Focus on where you connect
and not where you disagree.

And posters: don’t assume that everyone is here to help you. They have their own lives and
their own jobs and their own families and priorities. Be polite. Don't be a bull in a china
shop.

And if more experienced users set a good example, it's more likely the newbies will follow
suit.

Likely this list needs a moderator. Does it have one? I am not stepping up for the job, but
someone with a sense of Zen and no fear of confrontation should.

If you want to flame me, you might want to think again. Most of your ISP's have a policy of
no spam/hate/scam/flame. I have reported people to their ISP's before and I will do it again.
There is a difference between free speech and hate speech. Hate speech is not protected under
the Constitution and your ISP's won't tolerate it either.

Please stop treating each other like garbage. For none of you is garbage. Each of you just
comes from your own singular perspective, some of you are frustrated, some of you don't understand
how this works and some of you need some perspective.

Perspective, best served up warm.

Brenda Hart Neihouse