openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Think" <thinkta...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Being Good, was: RE: Reading and Exporting spreadsheets--another commentary
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 01:15:09 GMT
Troll, per Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet
by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic
messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4]
or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise
disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]"

"Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation"

I believe the topic had something to do with people commenting how people were treating each
other on this listserv. So I was on topic.

I was calling on people in the group to act in a coordinated manner to ensure that the dripping
sarcasm, bullying and abuse stopped on this listserv. Trolls work to sew discord, not to protect
other people.

I was not looking to provoke an emotional response, I was looking to urge the listserv members
and the moderators to reassess what was happening on this listserv and to behave appropriately.
I think I succeeded in this area. I actually think the moderators should be replaced. That
is not a threat, that is merely my opinion. If this much nastiness is being tolerated by the
moderators and people are not getting banned for this behavior, the moderators are failing
and should be replaced.

As to mailing lists. I sit on a mailing list of over 1100 users at a major university, most
of them work at the university. I am well aware of proper etiquette regarding listservs. Additionally
I utilized listservs and BBS' before most people had an internet connection, and I op'd on
IRC on dal.net on a channel with hundreds of thousands of users. I work in policy and law.
Every. Day. I believe in obeying the same rules that I ask others to obey.

And again, we have the concept of "ad hominem." Attacking me voids your argument. This is
not about me. This is about the behavior of those who post on this listserv.

And yes, I believe in spreading "wonderful." I gave up my entire weekend to help a Chinese
scholar at my university who didn't speak English get her power back on -- her brother did
not pay the bill from China and she has a seven year old. I put aside my work the entire weekend,
despite being under deadline, and also part of yesterday to do so. I am not a hero, I am just
a neighbor. What did you do with your weekend Mr. Holtzman? After all if you are going to
attack me publicly, we might as well get to know each other. (And what I just stated was on
topic as no one has seen fit to publicly dress down Mr. Holtzman for this topic turn, so I
will follow it.)

Brenda Hart Neihouse

PS: an interesting quote I ran across tonight:

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become a monster.

Friedrich Nietzsche