openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Sudden? Conversion of a file to a read only file
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 05:27:24 GMT
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:21:06 -0500
Janis Langins <j.langins@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> A file I have updating daily (quite long, about 340 pages) has
> inexplicably for reasons I cannot understand converted to a Read Only
> file.  I have tried to get around this by copy the file from another
> folder where did not convert to a Read Only to overwrite this
> file.  It stays Read Only.  I have erased it and copied from my other
> folder and it becomes a Read Only.
> Any idea of what is going on and how can I stop this?
> Thank you
> Janis Langins

At system level, with OpenOffice closed, enable viewing of hidden and system files for your
computer. You will find a hidden file with a name like ".~lock.YourFileName.odt#"
in  the file directory. Delete this file and all should be well.

Note that this file is typically a few hundred bytes in size, whereas the actual file thhat
owns ir will be a minimum of about 6-7 KBytes in size (in your case I would expect much larger).
If you are in doubt, please get a computer experienced person  to assist.

Note that the instructions given in another reply to this query (by dmcgarrett@optonline.net)
are correct for linux, but you are using Windowswhere they won't work.

Such lock files can be left over after a program or system crash, or sometimes after too speedy
a close down of the computer.

Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>