openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: File problem
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:46:38 GMT
At 02:05 22/11/2013 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>Sent a file edited in OO to a Mac.

A crucial fact - which you have kept secret - is in what format you
had saved the copy.

>File was edited to Times Roman 14 point, double spaced, justified.
>When the Mac owner opened the file, it was unusable.

Anyone wishing to edit your material further would not need to
specify double spacing (or font and size): they could apply that
formatting easily themselves.  The only reason would be if they
wanted to print it as it was and use the hard copy for editing.  In
this case, you can export a copy of your document to PDF and send
that: everyone should be happy.

>He sent me this:
>"On closer examination and trying to import the ISGA article into
>Pagemaker I found the following problems:

Anyone laying out an article (for a periodical or journal?) will want
to apply formatting themselves according to the publication's style
and standards.  What they need is just the text of your article.  You
may well want to use a word processor to prepare your work - in order
to utilise a spelling checker and so on - but you might well then
save a plain text copy to submit to the publisher.  If you need to
mark the occasional word or symbol as italic say, you can use text
markup - like HTML but not necessarily using exactly those tags.

You could send plain text and PDF, of course.

>I will attach the file here, if attachments are permitted.

Nothing distributed.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker