openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Volker Holfeld <>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 released
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 19:15:17 GMT
Am 06.10.2013 um 17:16 schrieb Urmas <>:

> "James Knott":
> Why do you say it won't open stuff from back then?
> No version of OO.o can open the StarOffice documents (SDW, etc.) properly.
Since the very early days after 1.0 was released, a tool called "Document Converter"
was promoted. You can find it under "File=>Wizards=>Document Converter…". This tool
is intended for batch conversion of the old StarOffice file formats to the newer XML based
OpenOffice. We used StarOffice 5.2 in our company until was released to the
public, so we have a bunch of these old files. I just checked a .sdw and a .sdc with a 3.x
version on Linux, the files were opened without any problems. We did a batch conversion somewhere
during the OpenOffice 2.x series to the newer formats .sxw, .sxc, sxi. The old binary formats
of StarOffice are proprietary formats, so I would accept the removal from the current 4.x
main releases, but perhaps there could be an extension developed which is capable to open
these old StarOffice (and MS-Office 6.0/97 too) formats.

View raw message