openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: unique uses of frame styles
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:53:32 GMT
At 12:18 17/10/2013 -0400, David L Babcock wrote:
>I needed a doc to generate pages for a small 5-hole
>notebook/binder.  I fit 2 pages per sheet but then needed outlines
>for the cutting out.  The outline graphic also had "dots" to mark
>where the 10 holes needed to be punched.  Obviously to avoid
>two-pass printing, had to use frames and/or a background image.
>
>It was hell. But I got it working.  Long enough ago that particulars
>escape me.  I do remember that the two little "pages" were side by
>side, that "newspaper columns" were used.  And that adding text
>would properly move lines to the second little page, But NOT to the
>following real (8.5x11) page.  Sorry don't remember if the final
>product used frames. (I think it did, and that's what broke line-moving).
>
>Not asking for solutions, ...

If you do want to recreate this (or if others do so), your use of
frames does not need to "break line-moving".  Using *linked* frames,
you can preserve the natural flow of text from frame to frame - and
from a frame on one page to a frame on another.  See "frames;linking"
in the help text.

Brian Barker