openoffice-users mailing list archives

From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: Does openoffice open .doc documents?
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 01:53:16 GMT
psterner@aol.com wrote:
> Does this program open documents with a .doc extension?   I am using the free version
and if the program does open these documents, please advise how I can get the program to do
this.  Presently, if I try to do this, all that shows on the document is a bunch of gibberish.

Yes, OpenOffice works with .DOC and .DOCX files.  However, it sounds
like you're trying to get it from some site that wants to charge you for
a full version.  OpenOffice is a free download from www.openoffice.org.
Be careful that you don't go to some site that will charge you for what
is free (charging a nominal fee for a CD is OK) or charge you for
"support" and then send you to this mail list, which is also free.