openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: File won't open
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 00:40:57 GMT

On 10/01/2013 07:16 PM, Doug wrote:
> I've just received an attachment consisting of an important legal
> document as a .docx file. I downloaded Apache 4.0.1 and it won't
> open the file. (Neither will Textmaker 2012 or WordPerfect 6.)
>
> Since this is a personal file, I can't send it to you, but do you have
> any comment? (It comes from a law office, and they are NOT going to
> switch to OpenOffice!)
>
> --doug

So you cannot share the file with some member, that limits things a
bit... but.... it turns out that Microsoft is very good at copying what
others have done and they use the same container as an ODF file; a zip
container.

Save your fail as say x.zip and then see if you can look at x.zip using
your favorite zip viewer. If you cannot, then it is not a DOCX file (or
it is damaged).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php