openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dick Hoffman <old...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Re: AOO can't open .xlsx spreadsheet at Cornell site
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:53:35 GMT
On 9/25/2013 7:54 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Dick Hoffman <oldrah@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded a fairly large spreadsheet from this location
>> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/**clementschecklist/download/<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/>
>> but when I try to open it with AOO the progress line shows about a quarter
>> of it being loaded and then AOO stalls and I have to use the Task Manager
>> to cancel soffice. This is using AOO 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro/SP3 system.
>> Any suggestions as to what might be wrong will be appreciated.
>> Dick Hoffman

> No suggestions and yes AOO 4.0.x has  a problem with it. I downloaded it as
> well. I hope it doesn't contain personal data. If it does, I will delete it.
>
> On the other hand, if it doesn't, can we use it as an attachment to an
> issue?
>
> This would be helpful to troubleshoot this problem.
> Thanks.

The spreadsheet at the Cornell site doesn't contain any personal data;
it can be used for troubleshooting purposes, or any other. I've had
various suggestions and received several remedies. To summarize: the
.xlsx file can apparently be read in OO 3.1.1 (someone who was able to
do so saved it as a .ods and sent it on to me); the .xlsx file
apparently can be read in AOO 4.0.1 (someone who was able to do so
offered to save it as a .ods and send it on to me); yes, the .csv file
can be taken into AOO or Excel to create an equivalent spreadsheet but
you lose the color coding that is in the .xlsx which helps when
scrolling through the data and the references from the second sheet of
the .xlsx file don't seem to be present in the .csv file. I now have a
version of the Cornell file in .ods format that serves my purposes.
Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. What a great
group of people you are!
Dick Hoffman
Cleveland Heights, OH