openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Chris Harris <chris_harri...@hotmail.com>
Subject Novel writing need to Link/update various documents
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:44:20 GMT
Hi there.

Tried sending a blank email, but do not think it has worked as I never received a reply. So
I am trying the direct approach.

I am trying to write a novel using openoffice, 4.0.0, on a Windows7 x64 laptop, saving each
chapter as a discrete file.

I would like to be able to have an updatable chapter summary at the top of the chapters. I
have an individual file with this data, which I would like to be able to update from the chapter
summary. ie if I have a briliant idea, I can add it to that chapters summary, which in turn
will update the summary file, this amended summary then needs to update all the chapter heading
summaries.

Next I have a file with character notes/bio's. Again I need to be able to amend this whilst
writing. ie, I am writing something about a character, and want to save a particular word
or character detail, so click on characters name which then opens up the character file and
I can update the file.

I suspect that I need to use the hyperlink function in some way, maybe you can give me some
advice as to the best way to do this?

I could of course use an index card system, but that would inhibit the flow, as it were, especially
as copy and paste would be so much more efficient.

I have given each chapter a title and number, but in going over what I have already written,
I am thinking I want to change chapter1 to chapter 5 and move chapter 4 to chapter1...or at
least move things around. Any ideas as to how this could be best done. I am thinking I should
simply have used the chapter title as the file name, deciding on the actual chapter order/number
when satisfied with the whole book.

Has anyone got any experience of using openoffice for novel writing?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks C Harris.