openoffice-users mailing list archives

From birgitte nielsen <birgitteelmerniel...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Novel writing need to Link/update various documents
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:07:23 GMT
It is totally wrong that you send all these mails to me. So please stop it.
I get long-mails every day from other Open Office Employees and users, but I have not registered
myself into any group, and my OpenOffice works perfectly.

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:36:59 +0100
> From: ofarrwrk@iol.ie
> To: users@openoffice.apache.org
> CC: chris_harris51@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Novel writing need to Link/update various documents
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:44:20 +0000
> Chris Harris <chris_harris51@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Tried sending a blank email, but do not think it has worked as I never received
a reply. So I am trying the direct approach.

> > I am trying to write a novel using openoffice, 4.0.0, on a Windows7 x64 laptop,
saving each chapter as a discrete file.

> > I would like to be able to have an updatable chapter summary at the top of the chapters.
I have an individual file with this data, which I would like to be able to update from the
chapter summary. ie if I have a briliant idea, I can add it to that chapters summary, which
in turn will update the summary file, this amended summary then needs to update all the chapter
heading summaries.

> > Next I have a file with character notes/bio's. Again I need to be able to amend
this whilst writing. ie, I am writing something about a character, and want to save a particular
word or character detail, so click on characters name which then opens up the character file
and I can update the file.

> > I suspect that I need to use the hyperlink function in some way, maybe you can give
me some advice as to the best way to do this?

> > I could of course use an index card system, but that would inhibit the flow, as
it were, especially as copy and paste would be so much more efficient.

> > I have given each chapter a title and number, but in going over what I have already
written, I am thinking I want to change chapter1 to chapter 5 and move chapter 4 to chapter1...or
at least move things around. Any ideas as to how this could be best done. I am thinking I
should simply have used the chapter title as the file name, deciding on the actual chapter
order/number when satisfied with the whole book.

> > Has anyone got any experience of using openoffice for novel writing?
> >
> > Appreciate any help you can give me.
> >
> > Thanks C Harris.
> >

> In haste:
> You could combine your separate chapters using the Master Document structure of OpenOffice.
To relocate an enttire chapter then would simply be a matter of moving the line in the Master
Document which invokes that chapter.

> I've never used Master Documents - I keep my related writings all in the one file (file
size typically 20 chapters 100K); I currently am editing one file (assembly of another author's
works, for my own use, not for publication) of 3000+ pages, 14 volumes, 1,000,000 words. Slow
to load and save on current computer (25 seconds) which is vintage 2001 so not the fastest/
I have others, but this one is on my working desk.

> To keep track of timelines etc I make liberal use of Comments (/Insert /Comment). I'm
brooding on a modification to this function to allow the one user change the colour of comments
so that a particular theme would use its own background colour.