openoffice-users mailing list archives

From David L Babcock <ol...@rochester.rr.com>
Subject Link edits will not "stick" after closing spreadsheet
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:09:46 GMT
Win XP.
I have several spreadsheets, linked.

I copied these to my Dropbox directory and gave access to my soon
replacement.  -Dropbox worked as expected. She could work in the files
(but the links were broken, I'm pretty sure).

I opened the files from my end and used Edit>Links to change the links,
which made them work, for me.  Except that the DDE code in the affected
cells did not change, and so when I closed and then opened the files the
changes were lost.  (Do I have to say this is nutty behavior?  Just
where does a link /live ?/)

On a whim I just repeated the edit thing on the original files and got
the same result: the edit does not stick.  (Never mind Dropbox, that was
apparently a red herring.)

Okay, whats the workaround?

Secondly -back to Dropbox, and assuming a solution- I would like to use
relative addressing in the links, so that when we take turns on the
spreadsheets we don't have to change the links each and every time.
When she is working the path includes (if XP) something like "Donna\My
Documents\Dropbox\" etc, while I need to have "\Ol' Bab\My
Documents\Dropbox".  Is this possible?

To make it perhaps harder the several files are in several directories,
down two levels in Dropbox.

Give example, I don't remember back that far...

Thanking you for any help,
Ol' Bab