openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Girvin Herr <>
Subject Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 23:29:56 GMT

On 09/23/2013 02:31 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>   There used to be many ideas, but most of the integration became a
>> "theme-only"  where the Oxygen skin will get selected under the Native
>> Widget Framework. ​
>> I honestly don't care if it integrates into the theming. I'd just like to
>> have AOO on the K menu and the mime-types association.
>> Anything else is gravy.
> ​This is a list of the 'efforts' done by OpenSuSE on integrating Mozilla
> Firefox with KDE, unfortunately there are not links to the actual patches
> but it does include, KDE File Dialog support, KDE Application launcher
> support and other things (that you dont care) like icons and themes.
> If there is a way to get to those patches, it would be trivial to switch to
> the OpenOffice values since this is mainly KDE code, more than AOO. ​

This is getting off-topic, but Slackware 14.0 Linux was up to
mozilla-firefox-21.0 when, to my surprise, the next security release
went back down to 17.0.7esr.  Here is an excerpt from the Slackware page as to the reason Slackware did so:

    Here are the details from the Slackware 14.0 ChangeLog:
    patches/packages/mozilla-firefox-17.0.7esr-i486-1_slack14.0.txz:  Upgraded.
       This release contains security fixes and improvements.
       For more information, see:
       (* Security fix *)
       We had to switch to ESR here as well, as there's a problem running Firefox
       22.0 on Slackware 14.0 under KDE (crash when oxygen-gtk2 is installed).
       Forcing people to uninstall oxygen-gtk2 isn't really an option for a
       security fix, and upgrading to the latest oxygen-gtk2 did not help.
       It's possible that future Firefox/Thunderbird security updates will always
       come from the ESR branch.

The reference to " well..." refers to Slackware's Mozilla
Thunderbird going back to the 17.0.8 branch too.

More to the topic of AOO desktop integration, I am no longer using AOO.
It's a long story and way off topic.  However, I am using LibreOffice
with KDE4 and it installs into the K-menu just fine.  I am using the
freedesktop-menus desktop file.  I would expect AOO to have the same
desktop file in their package.  If not, well then maybe the subject is
not so "hell bent".
Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr