openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dave Barton ...@tasit.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 4.0 cannot open .doc file LO 4.1 can
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:39:23 GMT
R N D Martin wrote:
> In article <52334694.5060807@scootersdesk.com>, scooter@scootersdesk.com (Scooter)
> wrote:
>
>> *From:* Scooter <scooter@scootersdesk.com>
>> *To:* users@openoffice.apache.org
>> *Date:* Fri, 13 Sep 2013 13:08:36 -0400
>>
>> Win 7 AOO4.0
>> I did as suggested: changed the doc to docx and it opened without
>> further problems.
>> I agree with Dave this should not have occurred and I hope it will
>> be addressed in the next upgrade.
>> I will apply this "trick" on other problem doc files.
>>
>> Take Care.
>> Scooter
>> College Park, MD USA
>>
>> Dave Barton wrote on 9/11/2013 2:14 AM:

>> <https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/documents/USSI%202012%20%20final
>> %20clean%20copy%20on%203-30-12.doc>
>> using

>> corrupt and
>> file.
>> of

>> document.

>> correct 'doc' file.
>> open archives for some
>>>>

>>> It is in archive not binary (.doc) format. Change the extension
>>> to .docx
>>> and it opens fine in 4.0 This suggests that AOO is only relying
>>> on the
>>> file extension to determine which filter to use instead of
>>> analysing the
>>> file header. I propose a bug report (RFE?) to fix this, plus a bug
>>> report to fix the infinite loop if the user answers "No" in the
>>> "Repair"
>>> dialog.
>>>
>>> Dave

>> -
>> I've had no problems with docx files with this and earlier versions of AOO for some
>> time now.
>>
>> Niall Martin

That's good news, but change the file extension of a file from ".docx"
to ".doc" then try to open in AOO and you will understand what this
thread is about. If you are interested how/why this file extension
change can/does happen read the comments in the 2 bug reports I linked
to in another post to this thread.

Dave