openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Gary Aitken <openoff...@dreamchaser.org>
Subject Re: HP LaserJet question
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 17:09:05 GMT
On 09/07/13 08:43, Doug wrote:
> On 09/07/2013 09:20 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> I've an idea what happened to you: Maybe reducing the complexity of
>> graphical objects on the printed output may help you.
>> Go to menu item /tools/options/OpenOffice/printing
>> and activate both checkboxes to reduce transparency and gradients within
>> the printed output. Perhaps that's it because postscript cannot reduce
>> such content on it's own and the input data on the printer can become
>> very very large.
>
> The problem has not been specific to OO or any word processor--it seems
> to occur randomly. I have changed the driver, as per another post, and I
> am waiting to see what happens.  Thnx for the input.  --doug

As I recall from a long time ago, PostScript uses reverse polish notation,
and you cannot begin printing anything until the entire document has been
received -- there's a "showpage" command at the very end that starts the
PostScript interpretation.  Up until that point, an element could appear
which changes the result.  If you print one page at a time you will see the
difference.  Not that that is a solution, but it might help explain what
you're seeing.  Even if a document is broken up into pages, the whole thing
could be scaled at the very end.

Gary