openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Girvin Herr <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: HP LaserJet question
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2013 02:12:38 GMT
Doug,
I just had a similar thing happen to my HP Laserjet 4050tn.  It was very
slow getting the pages out.  I was using the CUPS Postscript driver and
isolated the problem to the printer.  Cups showed the document sent and
completed as far as it was concerned, but the printer LED was still
flashing and after 30 minutes, still had not printed even the first
page.  I discovered changing the CUPS driver from Postscript to the HP
PCL3 driver made it work fine.  Now pages print within seconds of
clicking on Print.
All of my computers are Slackware 14.0 Linux and all of my HP printers
are networked.

I may note that this problem started when I upgraded to Slack 14.0 with
the new 3.x kernel.  It may be that the newer Postscript causes the
older Postscript engines in the relatively old HP printers to hang up.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr