openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: scripts in AOO spreadsheets interpreted by MS excel?
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 04:38:49 GMT
On 09/03/2013 11:46 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 09/01/13 22:57, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>> On 09/01/2013 11:23 AM, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>> Is this also the case for the spreadsheet (calc) documents?  Are
>>> they readable by MS excel?  If so, are scripts (Java) also
>>> generally properly interpreted by MS excel?
>> I was not aware that you could script Excel in Java. Do you mean
>> control Excel in Java, or literally embed a Java Script that is
>> runnable in Excel?
> I meant provide more complex code to be executed when various events
> occur in the spreadsheet.  That code needs to have access to and the
> ability to modify other parts of the spreadsheet as well as maintain
> global state.  None of this has to interact with any complex back end;
> it's just complex calculations for other (display-only) parts of the
> spreadsheet.
>
> I thought MS had bindings for things besides VB for excel;
> and was hoping there was some alignment between those and OO.
> It appears I was wrong on both counts.  But I also thought I
> could use VB callbacks to call into a java back end to get around
> no java bindings.
>
> However, something like Obba may make what I need to do possible, although
> it's not obvious if it has a framework for also modifying the spreadsheet
> contents from the jvm.
>
> Gary

No idea what Excel offers in terms of scripting support, or events that
you can hook into. I do know that OO supports certain hooks, but I am
not clear on what they all or off the top of my head.

I googled "excel event listener documentation" and I found a few things,
including something at cpearson dot com.

I expect that the listener infrastructure in AOO, however, will not
remotely look like that supported by Excel. If your platform is Windows,
you can probably load and call a DLL in both platforms. I do not know
how (off hand) to call a Java class file from basic (never even tried to
do it).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php