openoffice-users mailing list archives

From simon brown <si...@greatgiftsandtoys.co.uk>
Subject Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 07:24:22 GMT
Hi

I am trying to install open office on a latest linux mint copy,
alongside libreoffice.  The reason is that I have a libreoffice calc bug
to do with .xlsx compatibility, and I want to see if your equivalent
will get round this.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to install.  Your instructions refer
obliquely to needing to resolve a soffice symlink, without including
details on just how to do it.  I have now wasted nearly 2 hours trying
to do this, and am now giving up.  All the packages install fine, except
the desktop integration, which complains that there is a package
conflict with /usr/bin/soffice which is also in the libreoffice package.

I think that the entry on the wiki about resolving it is patronising and
smug, and highly annoying ("see your favourite reference for how to do
this").  If there is a known issue then please state the full workaround
in full detail.

What I find most surprising, perhaps, is that I can't find any
instructions on how to run the components from the command line
anywhere, or even details on just where the executables get put. This
leaves me with nowhere to go if the desktop integration step fouls up,
as it has.

regards

Simon