openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Gary Aitken <openoff...@dreamchaser.org>
Subject Re: scripts in AOO spreadsheets interpreted by MS excel?
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 03:46:50 GMT
On 09/01/13 22:57, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> On 09/01/2013 11:23 AM, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> Is this also the case for the spreadsheet (calc) documents?  Are
>> they readable by MS excel?  If so, are scripts (Java) also
>> generally properly interpreted by MS excel?
> I was not aware that you could script Excel in Java. Do you mean
> control Excel in Java, or literally embed a Java Script that is
> runnable in Excel?

I meant provide more complex code to be executed when various events
occur in the spreadsheet.  That code needs to have access to and the
ability to modify other parts of the spreadsheet as well as maintain
global state.  None of this has to interact with any complex back end;
it's just complex calculations for other (display-only) parts of the
spreadsheet.

I thought MS had bindings for things besides VB for excel;
and was hoping there was some alignment between those and OO.
It appears I was wrong on both counts.  But I also thought I
could use VB callbacks to call into a java back end to get around
no java bindings.

However, something like Obba may make what I need to do possible, although
it's not obvious if it has a framework for also modifying the spreadsheet
contents from the jvm.

Gary