openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Gary Aitken ...@dreamchaser.org>
Subject Re: scripts in AOO spreadsheets interpreted by MS excel?
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2013 20:24:44 GMT
On 09/01/13 09:56, Regina Henschel wrote:
<snip>
>> Is this also the case for the spreadsheet (calc) documents?  Are
>> they readable by MS excel?
>
> It depends on the version of Microsoft Office. They started lately to
> support ODF in Excel.
>
> Before MS 2007 you need a plugin. For MS 2007 itself I'm not sure.
>
> MS 2010 can read .ods files which are written using ODF1.1. But that
> format has no standard for formulas. MS 2007 does not read formulas,
> but only the stored values. It can read files written using ODF1.2 as
> well, although it complains, that the file is broken and needs to be
> repaired.
>
> MS 2013 can read .ods files using ODF1.2 including the formulas.
> Microsoft has a webpage, which gives an overview, what parts of
> ODF1.2 are not supported. Search for "ODF 1.2" on
> "site:microsoft.com" should give you relevant results.

Thanks, that's a help.

> If so, are scripts (Java) also generally properly interpreted
>> by MS excel?
>
> I don't know and cannot test it. But it is unlikely, because the
> macros in Apache OpenOffice do not base on the file format (what the
> standard is about). But macros are based on the UNO framework. And
> UNO is based on data and methods of the internal representations, not
> on file format. The file format does not have methods at all, but
> only elements and attributes.

If macros are involved, wouldn't the file format for the cell require
specifying the macro binding, which would imply describing
the language bindings to some extent, at least down to the procedure call
level?  That would imply if there were a java binding, at least one would
know the procedure "SpreadsheetCell::click(row, col) or something like
that was specified, and the back-end would need to support it.

> But shouldn't a question about the ability of Excel be ask on a
> Microsoft forum?

My assumption was that most people on an MS forum are not interested in
interoperability, whereas a substantial percentage of those on this forum
probably are of necessity.  My apologies if it's inappropriate.  I'm probably
out of luck.  I have a spreadsheet with an MS basic backend and I was hoping
to rewrite it so I could run and distribute it in AOO even to those folks
who can't / won't change because their institutions run M$.

Thanks,

Gary