openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: scripts in AOO spreadsheets interpreted by MS excel?
Date Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:56:54 GMT
Hi Gary,

Gary Aitken schrieb:
> It's my understanding the AOO document format for writer is a recognized
> standard;

Yes.

  and I know they are readable by ms word.

> Is this also the case for the spreadsheet (calc) documents?  Are they readable
> by MS excel?

It depends on the version of Microsoft Office. They started lately to
support ODF in Excel.

Before MS 2007 you need a plugin. For MS 2007 itself I'm not sure.

MS 2010 can read .ods files which are written using ODF1.1. But that
format has no standard for formulas. MS 2007 does not read formulas, but
only the stored values. It can read files written using ODF1.2 as well,
although it complains, that the file is broken and needs to be repaired.

MS 2013 can read .ods files using ODF1.2 including the formulas.
Microsoft has a webpage, which gives an overview, what parts of ODF1.2
are not supported. Search for "ODF 1.2" on "site:microsoft.com" should
give you relevant results.

   If so, are scripts (Java) also generally properly interpreted
> by MS excel?

I don't know and cannot test it. But it is unlikely, because the macros
in Apache OpenOffice do not base on the file format (what the standard
is about). But macros are based on the UNO framework. And UNO is based
on data and methods of the internal representations, not on file format.
The file format does not have methods at all, but only elements and
attributes.

But shouldn't a question about the ability of Excel be ask on a
Microsoft forum?

Kind regards
Regina