openoffice-users mailing list archives

From John Barmen <JOHN.BAR...@torconstruction.com>
Subject Re: Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:34:07 GMT
Simon,

Please note, I am a user, not a code writer, but I too had a problem loading the program onto
my iMac. This may have been a function that the software isn't an "approved" vendor. Downloaded
it twice the first day, then once the following day (after a nasty shock, upon booting up
for the day the program wasn't visible, and I though all my work from the day before was lost).
It now seems to be running just fine. I do shut down the software and anything I am working
on, before shutting my computer down for the day.

Not sure if this helps, your problem may not be the same as mine. Good luck.

John Barmen

On Sep 4, 2013, at 2:24 AM, simon brown <simon@greatgiftsandtoys.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to install open office on a latest linux mint copy, alongside libreoffice.
 The reason is that I have a libreoffice calc bug to do with .xlsx compatibility, and I want
to see if your equivalent will get round this.

> Unfortunately I cannot get it to install.  Your instructions refer obliquely to needing
to resolve a soffice symlink, without including details on just how to do it.  I have now
wasted nearly 2 hours trying to do this, and am now giving up.  All the packages install fine,
except the desktop integration, which complains that there is a package conflict with /usr/bin/soffice
which is also in the libreoffice package.

> I think that the entry on the wiki about resolving it is patronising and smug, and highly
annoying ("see your favourite reference for how to do this").  If there is a known issue then
please state the full workaround in full detail.

> What I find most surprising, perhaps, is that I can't find any instructions on how to
run the components from the command line anywhere, or even details on just where the executables
get put. This leaves me with nowhere to go if the desktop integration step fouls up, as it
has.