openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Greg Madden <gomadtr...@gci.net>
Subject Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 03:48:07 GMT
<girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net>wrote:
> > On 09/23/2013 02:31 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >    There used to be many ideas, but most of the integration became

> >> Firefox with KDE, unfortunately there are not links to the actual
> >> patches but it does include, KDE File Dialog support, KDE
> >> Application launcher support and other things (that you dont care)
> >> like icons and themes.
> >> http://old-en.opensuse.org/**KDE/FirefoxIntegration<http://old-en.
> >>opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration>
> >>
> >> If there is a way to get to those patches, it would be trivial to
> >> switch to
> >> the OpenOffice values since this is mainly KDE code, more than
> >> AOO. ‚Äč
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > This is getting off-topic, but Slackware 14.0 Linux was up to
> > mozilla-firefox-21.0 when, to my surprise, the next security
> > release went back down to 17.0.7esr.  Here is an excerpt from the
> > linux-security.comSlackware page as to the reason Slackware did so:
> >
> >    Here are the details from the Slackware 14.0 ChangeLog:
> >    +--------------------------+
> >
> > patches/packages/mozilla-**firefox-17.0.7esr-i486-1_**slack14.0.txz
> >: Upgraded.
> >       This release contains security fixes and improvements.
> >       For more information, see:
> >         http://www.mozilla.org/**security/known-**
> > vulnerabilities/firefoxESR.**html<http://www.mozilla.org/security/k
> >nown-vulnerabilities/firefoxESR.html> (* Security fix *)
> >       We had to switch to ESR here as well, as there's a problem
> > running Firefox
> >       22.0 on Slackware 14.0 under KDE (crash when oxygen-gtk2 is
> > installed).
> >       Forcing people to uninstall oxygen-gtk2 isn't really an
> > option for a security fix, and upgrading to the latest oxygen-gtk2
> > did not help. It's possible that future Firefox/Thunderbird
> > security updates will always
> >       come from the ESR branch.
> >    +--------------------------+
> >
> > The reference to "...as well..." refers to Slackware's Mozilla
> > Thunderbird going back to the 17.0.8 branch too.
> >
> > More to the topic of AOO desktop integration, I am no longer using
> > AOO. It's a long story and way off topic.  However, I am using
> > LibreOffice with KDE4 and it installs into the K-menu just fine.  I
> > am using the freedesktop-menus desktop file.  I would expect AOO to
> > have the same desktop file in their package.  If not, well then
> > maybe the subject is not so "hell bent".
> > Hope this helps.
> > Girvin Herr
>
> We do! see other messages in this thread. And, the install guide has
> just been modified to emphasize this!
>
> We would love to hear your results with the newest version -- AOO
> 4.0.1 -- which we are voting on now and should be out VERY soon, with
> the freedesktop-integration menus.
>
> I think you'll be pleased! :)

AOO 4.0.11 RC3 is solid, but so has the history of Openoffice, for my
use, subset of feaures.

mime types are configured, .....AOO is the default app for .doc, .docx,
odf stuff.

menus are updated with all the AOO apps.

Trinity Desktop has done this: gtk,TDE theme engine.
http://trinity-announce.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::27

I have used kmail for quite some time with Openoffice, mostly using
the "email as xxx" feature, no issues, I do not do mail merges.

--
Peace,

Greg