openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <>
Subject Re: Novel writing need to Link/update various documents
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:36:59 GMT
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:44:20 +0000
Chris Harris <> wrote:

> Hi there.
> Tried sending a blank email, but do not think it has worked as I never received a reply.
So I am trying the direct approach.
> I am trying to write a novel using openoffice, 4.0.0, on a Windows7 x64 laptop, saving
each chapter as a discrete file.
> I would like to be able to have an updatable chapter summary at the top of the chapters.
I have an individual file with this data, which I would like to be able to update from the
chapter summary. ie if I have a briliant idea, I can add it to that chapters summary, which
in turn will update the summary file, this amended summary then needs to update all the chapter
heading summaries.
> Next I have a file with character notes/bio's. Again I need to be able to amend this
whilst writing. ie, I am writing something about a character, and want to save a particular
word or character detail, so click on characters name which then opens up the character file
and I can update the file.
> I suspect that I need to use the hyperlink function in some way, maybe you can give me
some advice as to the best way to do this?
> I could of course use an index card system, but that would inhibit the flow, as it were,
especially as copy and paste would be so much more efficient.
> I have given each chapter a title and number, but in going over what I have already written,
I am thinking I want to change chapter1 to chapter 5 and move chapter 4 to chapter1...or at
least move things around. Any ideas as to how this could be best done. I am thinking I should
simply have used the chapter title as the file name, deciding on the actual chapter order/number
when satisfied with the whole book.
> Has anyone got any experience of using openoffice for novel writing?
> Appreciate any help you can give me.
> Thanks C Harris.
In haste:
You could combine your separate chapters using the Master Document structure of OpenOffice.
To relocate an enttire chapter then would simply be a matter of moving the line in the Master
Document which invokes that chapter.

I've never used Master Documents - I keep my related writings all in the one file (file size
typically 20 chapters 100K); I currently am editing one file (assembly of another author's
works, for my own use, not for publication) of 3000+ pages, 14 volumes, 1,000,000 words. Slow
to load and save on current computer (25 seconds) which is vintage 2001 so not the fastest/
I have others, but this one is on my working desk.

To keep track of timelines etc I make liberal use of Comments (/Insert /Comment). I'm brooding
on a modification to this function to allow the one user change the colour of comments so
that a particular theme would use its own background colour.

Rory O'Farrell <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message