openoffice-users mailing list archives

From TN Patriot <irgu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 4.0 cannot open .doc file LO 4.1 can
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:33:37 GMT
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:14:19 +0200
Dave Barton <db@tasit.net> wrote:

> TN Patriot wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:06:18 -0700
> > NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The MS Doc file on:
> >> https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm
> >>
> >>  USSI (MSWord)
> >>  (311 KB doc)
> >>
> >> <https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/documents/USSI%202012%20%20final%20clean%20copy%20on%203-30-12.doc>
> >>
> >> Cannot be opened with AOO 4.0. However it opens without issue using
> >> LibreOffice 4.1.
> >>
> >> AOO:
> >> AOO400m3(Build:9702)  -  Rev. 1503704
> >> 2013-07-16 14:49:37 (Tue, 16 Jul 2013) - Linux x86_64
> >>
> >> LO:
> >> Version: 4.1.0.4
> >> Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
> >>
> >> The error message is:
> >>
> >> "The file 'USSI 2012 final clean copy on 3-30-12.doc' is corrupt and
> >> therefore cannot be opened. OpenOffice cna try to repair the file.
> >>
> >> The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of
> >> structural document damage due to data transmission.
> >>
> >> We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document.
> >> Execution of macros is disabled for this document.
> >>
> >> Should OpenOffice repair the file?"
> >>
> >> Clicking 'Yes' results in "Read-Error. Error reading file."
> >>
> >> And anyone reproduce?
> >>
> > Does the same here with my 4.0 also, but I don't believe it's a correct 'doc'
> > file. It's put together more like a archive. Maybe LO is set up to open archives
> > for some reason?
> >

> It is in archive not binary (.doc) format. Change the extension to .docx
> and it opens fine in 4.0 This suggests that AOO is only relying on the
> file extension to determine which filter to use instead of analysing the
> file header. I propose a bug report (RFE?) to fix this, plus a bug
> report to fix the infinite loop if the user answers "No" in the "Repair"
> dialog.
>
> Dave

  Are you going to go ahead and make the bug report? I'm not the OP and s/he hasn't
  piped in since his post. I simply tested it that it didn't open also on AOO
  4.0...I didn't check the "loop" you're talking about.

--
Learn about Jury Nullification! Help take back our country from our corrupt
government!  http://www.fija.org  Spread the word!