openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Greg Madden <gomadtr...@gci.net>
Subject Re: Problem installing alongside libreoffice in linux mint 15
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:48:18 GMT
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 23:24:22 you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install open office on a latest linux mint copy,
> alongside libreoffice.  The reason is that I have a libreoffice calc
> bug to do with .xlsx compatibility, and I want to see if your
> equivalent will get round this.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot get it to install.  Your instructions refer
> obliquely to needing to resolve a soffice symlink, without including
> details on just how to do it.  I have now wasted nearly 2 hours
> trying to do this, and am now giving up.  All the packages install
> fine, except the desktop integration, which complains that there is a
> package conflict with /usr/bin/soffice which is also in the
> libreoffice package.
>
> I think that the entry on the wiki about resolving it is patronising
> and smug, and highly annoying ("see your favourite reference for how
> to do this").  If there is a known issue then please state the full
> workaround in full detail.
>
> What I find most surprising, perhaps, is that I can't find any
> instructions on how to run the components from the command line
> anywhere, or even details on just where the executables get put. This
> leaves me with nowhere to go if the desktop integration step fouls
> up, as it has.
>
> regards
>
> Simon

I use Debian Wheezy, Mint should be the same. From the wiki

Use the 'whereis' is command to find the executable or symlink is
located:

pabi@tdewheezy:~$ whereis soffice
soffice: /usr/bin/soffice /usr/bin/X11/soffice

I use 'ls -l' command to find if the executable is a symlink, it is.
You can see fron the output of "ls -l" that AOO is installed into
the 'opt' dir. It would be possible to run the 'soffice' directly
from "/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice"

pabi@tdewheezy:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/soffice
root root  /usr/bin/soffice -> /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice

The reason for this is Libreofice is a fork of Openoffice, it changed
the name of the suite but kept the executables the same name. The
system can not have two programs using the same name using the same
system paths, ie. "/usr/bin" or "/usr/bin/X11". T

This is not the fault of AOO, the wiki is, imho, trying to make both
suites workable on the same machine...hence the awareness of the
symlink. Working with symlinks is system admin area of expertise. I
concur it is not something most users are familiar with. My thought is
the (see your favorite reference for how to do this) comment refers to
your favorite sys admin handbook or guide. Also the man page for "ln"
is available on every system.

In closing the wiki is a volunteer endeavor, it is editable, maybe it
will become clearer over time.

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Help:Contents

I don't use Mint and I do not run two suites together.
--
Peace,

Greg