openoffice-users mailing list archives

From BRM <bm_witn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:10:08 GMT
From: Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org>

To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: linux remarks in: Someone is hell bent on seeing AOO go away
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Girvin Herr <girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net
> > >wrote:
> >

> > > On 09/23/2013 02:31 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > >    There used to be many ideas, but most of the integration became a

> > Mozilla
> > patches
> > http://old-en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration>

> > > The reference to "...as well..." refers to Slackware's Mozilla
> > Thunderbird
> > > going back to the 17.0.8 branch too.
> > >
> > > More to the topic of AOO desktop integration, I am no longer using AOO.
> > >  It's a long story and way off topic.  However, I am using LibreOffice
> > with
> > > KDE4 and it installs into the K-menu just fine.  I am using the
> > > freedesktop-menus desktop file.  I would expect AOO to have the same
> > > desktop file in their package.  If not, well then maybe the subject is
> > not
> > > so "hell bent".
> > > Hope this helps.
> > > Girvin Herr
> > >

> > We do! see other messages in this thread. And, the install guide has just
> > been modified to emphasize this!
>
> ​Aaron Seigo replied to me on G+ with a few links about the current
> freedesktop spec that is followed. I would forward the question about what
> we want to achieve with Nepomuk:
> -- Aaron comment ---
> For mimetypes:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html
>
> File associations are done by default using application .desktop files  and
> modified using the mimeapps.list file in ~/.local/share/applications as per
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec/
>
> For application menus: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/
>
> The xdg utils can  make using these systems from the application side
> easier.

Great, and look forward to it.

> As for Akonadi / Nepomuk, I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly?
> API to hook AOO into Akonadi / Nepomuk? If so .. if you can be a bit more
> specific as to what the  needs are I can be a bit more specific in my
> answer.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't know the full functionality of Akonadi/Nepomuk;
the biggest part I'm aware of is the Desktop search as they provide a huge metadata
search functionality; but I am aware there's other things to.

So for instance, one aspect might be to have a search option in the Open File dialogs to
find things using that search functionality - e.g. keyword file search. Windows provides
something similar now too, so the functionality wouldn't have to be limited to KDE4.

PIM integration would be good for shared contacts, address book, etc - useful for Mail Merges,
letters, etc.

As I said, I don't know everything that is there so someone would probably have to look
at what is provided and see what makes sense to utilize. Much of the functionality is stuff
that is slowly appearing in other platforms (GNOME, Windows), so I doubt the UI side would
be anything specific to KDE in the end.

May be Aaron Seigo could point us to the documentation to make the list for people to
go through and decide what would be useful for integration?

$0.02

Ben