openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Virgil Arrington" <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:28:47 GMT
To me, the AOO sidebar properties panel adds nothing. As you said, it only
duplicates the top toolbar. More importantly (for me at least), the styles
panel is buried *beneath* the properties panel. With LO, this is where I
dock the styles panel. So, now, with AOO, I have to do an extra click to
gain access to the styles panel. I've tried several times to find a way to
put the styles panel on top (as I have absolutely no need for the properties
panel), and I have yet to find a way that works. I may be missing something
that the AOO folks can explain to me.

I understand that the properties panel was taken from the Symphony user
interface. But, much, much, more desirable would have been Symphony's tabbed
document interface. So many programs have it, and it is soooooo useful that
I don't understand why neither LO nor AOO have adopted it (yet).

Virgil

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Davies
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 3:35 PM
To: Virgil Arrington ; users@openoffice.apache.org ;
users@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Conflicts?

Hi :)
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried the Apache OpenOffice 4.0 yet?

I really liked the sound of the toolbar down the side so i just gave it a
quick go.  I was a tad disappointed to find that toolbar was in addition to
the ones we both already have at the top and mostly was just a duplication
of many of those buttons.  However 1st time try-outs of new things seldom go
completely smoothly!  lol

I would really like to see both LO and AOO go this route and faster.  At the
moment all programs seem intent on making the screen more and more like a
letter-box slit with more and more wasted space at the sides and more and
more crammed in at the top&bottom.

It's becoming tougher and tougher to see a whole document all at the same
time.
Regards from
Tom :)

deleted