openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Connecting paragraph styles with numbering (list) styles
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:03:33 GMT
Hi Janis,

Janis Langins schrieb:
> I am trying to construct an outline with nested headings for lectures.

There exists two ways, the default one (easy) and the explicit one
(advanced skills).

> Following the online manual (ch. 7, p. 259) for Open Office

Can you please post the URL? There are several tutorials around and some
do not apply to AOO4.0 and some give bad advise.

, I can
> create both Paragraph styles and Numbering styles but I cannot seem to
> combine them.  Could I get some sources of information please?

If you are not an expert in styles, I suggest start with the default
outline numbering. For that you do not need any numbering style. You
find all needed settings in Tools > Outline numbering.

> Second problem:  I would like to transfer my new styles (if they work)
> to a document consisting of bits and pieces of previous documents with
> different styles and configure them to the new style with consistent
> renumbering.

Do it the other way round. Make a document template with your new
settings. Then copy the old stuff and paste it "as unformatted text".
Then apply the new styles as needed.

   There is no information in the manual on this.
> Microsoft word seems to have a renumber feature on their Outline mode
> that renumbers a collections of cut and pasted documents to make the
> heading in the new document sequential and consistent.  Open Office does
> not seem to have this.  True?  False?

The numbering will be correct, if you remove all hard formatting,
especially all hard numbering which have made via the buttons. If the
paragraph have the correct paragraph style assigned, the outline
numbering will be correct automatically. Therefore my advise to paste
"as unformatted text". That avoids a lot of trouble.

> Any reference to solutions would be appreciated.
> Janis Langins

My own texts are in German. But you can ask, if using Tools > Outline
numbering does not work for you.

Kind regards
Regina