openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Dale Erwin <d...@casaerwin.org>
Subject Re: pop-up help I don't understand the problem
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:52:36 GMT
Even this is no good for 1 sheet (4 pages) per signature.  For the
so-called "perfect" binding method, if there is more than one sheet per
signature, then the sheets of each signature must be sewn together.
More than one sheet per signature also results in uneven edges when the
book is closed.

The only way I have been able to do this, after exporting to pdf and
using the booklet function,  is to print pages 1 to 4, then pages 5 to
8, then pages 9 to 12, etc.  This means that for a book of 200 pages, I
have to run 200/4=50 print jobs.  I have one book which is a dictionary
consisting of 566 pages which means I have to run 142 print jobs.  Of
course, these figures only apply to printing on a printer with duplex
capability.  Otherwise, these figures are doubled.

Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
http://leather.casaerwin.org

On 8/14/2013 1:49 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:03:15 -0500
> Dale Erwin <dale@casaerwin.org> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, this doesn't work too well for large documents, but it's
>> fine for documents of 2 to 4 sheets.  The larger documnts need to be
>> divided into smaller units.  I prefer one sheet per unit so that I can
>> fold them and bind them at home.  There is no easy way I have found to
>> do this.
> The easiest way to do this is to Export as PDF. Then use a suitable PDF reader, such
as Adobe Reader, to Print Booklet on a duplex printer. This will shrink the pages to the half
size of the sheet and reorder the pages to the sheets in the correct order, permitting one
to print binding signatures (groups) of 16, 24 or 32 pages.