openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Request for help [Was Re: Is anyone using Apple Pages?
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:49:10 GMT
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
Calmuse@aol.com wrote:

> I am hoping you would be willing to help me.   I have posted 3 times with
> no answers.
> I am 76, just learning this wonderful new world...10 days ago downloaded
> Open Office.  Was able to open and edit docs from my Flash Drive..Then
> somehow????, 98% of my docs (90% of which I had not even opened in Open  Office),
> got changed from Word docs to openoffice.org.XML 1.0 Text  Documents (which
> as I understand it (not sure) are text encoded docs)
> When I try to open,  pop-up ASCII menu comes up.  No matter what  I do
> there, the doc opens as computer code.  I NEED these documents which  represent
> 25 years of creative work.  (I am a Jazz  pianist/composer/poet).\
>
> Thanking you in advance,   God Bless you and yours,
>
> Cal Bezemer / Cal Q LateR

Fitstly, I direct you to our Forum at
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/
where you should register and pose any follow up queries.

We need to know what operating system you are using (such as Windows version)

Did these files ever open with OpenOffice? Have you recently upgraded OpenOffice? If so, what
version are you currently using?

The first thing to try with strange happenings with OpenOffice is to delete or rename the
User Profile. Details on how to do this are given at
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

Then start up OpenOffice, and make a trivial file. In writerm,  if you type "dt" (no quotes)
and press F3, you should get a page of dummy text. Save this file to the local hard disk (NOT
the Flash Drive), then try to reopen it. If it reopens, then we are on the right track.

Best not to write to your Flash Drive until it is certain that your OpenOffice installation
is working OK.

If you have only recently moved to OpenOffice (or upgraded it), from which site did you download?
We only recommend downloading through www.opemnoffice.org/download/ (automatic redirection
to Sourceforge)

You say you are using a Flash Drive and have been working to it. Is this a solid state USB
stick, or is it a USB connected hard drive? Experience on the above Forum is that it is bad
practice to work direct to a solic state Flash Drive for a number of reasons:

One is that the life of these is limited - the circuitry may support only a limited number
of Write cycles and they may fail without warning.

Secondly, they ought be removed from the computer using a definite USB removal protocol; should
they not be so removed, or should the computer be closed down too quickly, the files can be
left in an uncertain, often unreadable, state.

Thirdly they are also sensitive to static electricity from being transported in pockets. Again,
subject to failure without warning.

If you come back to the mailing list or the Forum with answers, we can carry on from there.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>