openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: pop-up help I don't understand the problem
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:17:35 GMT
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:52:36 -0500
Dale Erwin <dale@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> Even this is no good for 1 sheet (4 pages) per signature.  For the
> so-called "perfect" binding method, if there is more than one sheet per
> signature, then the sheets of each signature must be sewn together.
> More than one sheet per signature also results in uneven edges when the
> book is closed.
>
> The only way I have been able to do this, after exporting to pdf and
> using the booklet function,  is to print pages 1 to 4, then pages 5 to
> 8, then pages 9 to 12, etc.  This means that for a book of 200 pages, I
> have to run 200/4=50 print jobs.  I have one book which is a dictionary
> consisting of 566 pages which means I have to run 142 print jobs.  Of
> course, these figures only apply to printing on a printer with duplex
> capability.  Otherwise, these figures are doubled.
>
> Dale Erwin
> Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
> Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
> http://leather.casaerwin.org
>
> On 8/14/2013 1:49 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:03:15 -0500
> > Dale Erwin <dale@casaerwin.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, this doesn't work too well for large documents, but it's
> >> fine for documents of 2 to 4 sheets.  The larger documnts need to be
> >> divided into smaller units.  I prefer one sheet per unit so that I can
> >> fold them and bind them at home.  There is no easy way I have found to
> >> do this.
> > The easiest way to do this is to Export as PDF. Then use a suitable PDF reader,
such as Adobe Reader, to Print Booklet on a duplex printer. This will shrink the pages to
the half size of the sheet and reorder the pages to the sheets in the correct order, permitting
one to print binding signatures (groups) of 16, 24 or 32 pages.

You are wrong. Just print as I say, then chop the signatures in half done the centre line.
All will be well.

In fact, there is no need to print in signatures for perfect binding. Just print the entire
book, page 1 .. nnn on a duplex printer, using the Adobe Reader print booklet, and chop the
paper stack down the centre.

I do it all the time.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>