openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: pop-up help I don't understand the problem
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 18:49:07 GMT
On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:03:15 -0500
Dale Erwin <dale@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this doesn't work too well for large documents, but it's
> fine for documents of 2 to 4 sheets.  The larger documnts need to be
> divided into smaller units.  I prefer one sheet per unit so that I can
> fold them and bind them at home.  There is no easy way I have found to
> do this.
>
> Dale Erwin
> Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
> Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU
> http://leather.casaerwin.org
>
> On 8/14/2013 10:53 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> > At 14:57 14/08/2013 +0200, Lillemor Munter wrote:
> >> Using Open Office, working with a document, use "tabeller", text and
> >> pictures.  The document will not hold my design, Al is all over when
> >> I do something new.  And this pop-up will come up now and then.  What
> >> is it?
> >>
> >> ...\Programblad 2013.odt\content.xml finns inte.  Vad betyder denna?
> >> Kommer fram när jag arbetar i Open Office.
> >
> > I'm not sure how you are reaching this message.  Any .odt text
> > document file is a zipped archive of a number of components, one of
> > which is always content.xml.  If this component is genuinely missing
> > from your .odt file, then the file is corrupt.  But it may be that,
> > instead of opening the .odt file itself (as you should be), you are
> > unzipping the .odt file and trying to open the content.xml file
> > inside.  Open the .odt file directly instead. (Have you perhaps
> > associated .odt with your zip utility, so that double-clicking an .odt
> > file unzips it instead of opening it in OpenOffice?  If so, the quick
> > workaround is to open the document file from inside OpenOffice using
> > File | Open... .)
> >
> >> Vill ha 10st A4-sidor som sedan viks ihop till ett A5-häfte. Måste
> >> man göra varje sida för sig? Ej testat om formaten håller sig då -
> >> kanske. Men tungt jobba i typ 10-20 olika dokument för att få fram
> >> ett häfte.
> >
> > This part is easy: OpenOffice does this well and calls this a "brochure".
> > o Set your single document to have A5 pages in portrait orientation.
> > o Create the document normally.
> > o Go to File | Printer Settings... | Properties... and set your
> > printer to use A4 paper in landscape orientation.
> > o Go to Tools | Options... | OpenOffice Writer | Print | Pages and
> > tick Brochure.  (Alternatively you can tick this in the print dialogue
> > at File | Print... | Options... | Pages | Brochure.)
> >
> > OpenOffice will rearrange the various (double-sided) pages so that you
> > can simply fold the resulting stack of printed sheets into a brochure

The easiest way to do this is to Export as PDF. Then use a suitable PDF reader, such as Adobe
Reader, to Print Booklet on a duplex printer. This will shrink the pages to the half size
of the sheet and reorder the pages to the sheets in the correct order, permitting one to print
binding signatures (groups) of 16, 24 or 32 pages.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>