openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "johnny smith" <ka...@krovatka.su>
Subject Re: Page numbers
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 04:11:01 GMT
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:22:56 -0000, Henry Rappaport <henry@hento.ca> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to begin page numbering at a certain number within
> a multi page document. I want to start at page 3 which is actually about
> 8 pages into my document.

the easiest way is to open the 'insert/fields/other' dialog, choose 'page'
 from the list of types and enter 2 into the 'offset' field. or you can
edit an already created page number field by plasing the caret before it
and clicking 'edit/fields'.

however, that doesn't work smoothly by default when the page is to bear a
number greater than the total ammount of pages in your document (e.g. p. 7
of your document, which is to be labelled p. 9). to overcome this, do the
following:

select the first paragraph of the page that is to be p. 3, open
'format/paragraph/text flow', switch on both 'insert' and 'with page
style' and enter what you need (and not zero, which is default) under
'page number'.

after that the offset feature begins working properly. however, there is
no more need to make use of that feature because you could just put the
proper value into the said 'page number' field.