openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Virgil Arrington" <>
Subject Re: AOO-Members dont forget voting
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:49:41 GMT
On Friday July, 19, 2013, Rob Weir wrote:

>We've discussed AOO 4.0 many times, on the blog and in social media,
>and this has been covered in the press.  Yes, we don't issue a press
>release every week or every time we change code indentation, like some
>other projects seem to do.  But we do take care of major

>I think the pace of development is one reason for the better quality.
>I'd like to release more often as well, but I don't want to
>compromise on quality.  But I think there is room for improvement
>here.  And we are discussing having a public beta for AOO 4.1.

I have complained on the LO user's list of its pace of releasing new
versions. There are several to choose from at its download page, and the
latest often contains bugs that had been fixed in earlier releases. It can
be quite frustrating to download an update only to find a bug that you had
thought was fixed.

The slow pace of development at Apache is equally frustrating. AOO 3.4.1 is
a nice program ... except for the inability of the U.S. English version to
properly hyphenate words (See bug 119087).  This bug has been around for
years preventing the use of AOO for serious work in America when hyphenation
is required. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it will be corrected in
Ver. 4, but it has been frustrating to wait for Apache to release a new
version until it gets everything right. Perhaps some sort of interim release
fixing known and critical bugs could be made.

Surely there can be some compromise between LO's torrid release pace and
AOO's seemingly non-existent pace.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message