openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Girvin R. Herr" <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: Re: OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 18:06:05 GMT

Don wrote:
> On 7/3/2013 5:06 PM, Steele, Raymond wrote:
>> Is OpenOffice asking you to enable JRE when you use OpenOffice? Do
>> you have the "Use a Java runtime environment" checkbox checked under
>> Tools -> Options ->Java? If so, are any JRE's listed?

I am not a Solaris user, Linux, but my $PATH has the following paths to
the Java files:

    /usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin

"mileage may vary", but you might check your $PATH and make sure these
equivalent paths are included.  AOO may use $PATH to find the jre files
and it the path to them is not in $PATH, AOO may not display the list of
jre files.  As stated before, the permissions may also be incorrect.  If
the jre is root:root and "other" is not set to at least readable, then
AOO would not see the file.  This applies to directories in the path
too.  They must be "executable" for "other".
There were problems with 1.7 and AOO in the past, but I would think that
those problems would be fixed by now. Of those problems, I don't
remember not recognizing the jre as one of them.  They had to do with
functionality.  Of course, something may have changed in AOO since then.
HTH
Girvin Herr