openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [dev] Performance of exporting through open office
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:28:07 GMT
If what you want to *produce* is xls or xlsx, you might want to look into the Apache POI project.
 That project provides Java libraries for manipulating and producing such documents.
<http://poi.apache.org/>

If what you want to *produce* is ods, then the Apache ODF Toolkit might suite you.  It is
also Java based.
<http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/>

Or some combination of the two.

Otherwise, I think the best option is the OpenOffice SDK.

There is, of course, document model and library access available within Microsoft Office and
Visual Studio extensions for Microsoft Office.  I assume that is not an option for you, although
I would think the performance of consuming the documents you are producing might be an issue
to address as well, and that might be a better place to address it.

 - Dennis

PS: CSV is always an option.  It doesn't work for formulas and cell coloring, etc., though.
 There is a form of single-file Excel spreadsheet in XML that might be suitable.  There are
also HTML formats for XML spreadsheets that might be easier to emit.  Your document might
be too complicated or too large for these cases.  One way to find out is to make a small version
having the essential features you need, in Excel, and then see whether and how well those
are produced in flat XML and HTML.  Then you can examine them for the structure that you need
to replicate with greater-sized documents.  Scaling experiments can be conducted to determine
if these are feasible to produce at your size and also to consume by the intended recipients.