openoffice-users mailing list archives

From Robert Funnell <robert.funn...@mcgill.ca>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:29:10 GMT
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Toki Kantoor wrote:

> On 06/22/2013 05:17 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> Being able to surface some UI ability to reveal the sources of the feature controls
that govern a point in the user-perceived document text may require both deep and wide modification
of current code.  That does not make the feature undesirable.  It makes it costly.  Even with
agreement among developers, there is the problem of enrolling open-source developers to investigate
and introduce it.  And it won't happen by unilateral contribution alone.  There must be serious
testing and other work to ensure that nothing is destabilized.

> Set up stylist to display _applied_ _character_ styles.
> setup the formatting bar, to display the current paragraph style name,
> along with some of the more commonly changed parameters.
>
> That setup will provide more useful information about what is going with
> the styles one is using, than the "reveal codes" extension that was
> created almost a decade ago.
>
> My guess is that that will provide the functional equivalent of "reveal
> codes" as used in WP.

No, not at all, in my experience. One of the things RevealCodes was
useful for was positioning the cursor inside or outside a given style
setting. For example, type 2 characters, say 'ab', and bold one of
them. Position the cursor between them and type another character. As
far as I can tell, you have no control over whether you get the style
of the 'a' or the style of the 'b'.

Another example: highlight some text, then delete the highlighted
text. Most of the time the highlighting style will still be hiding
there waiting for you, and when you type something else it gets
highlighted. With something like RevealCodes you would be able to see
it there and delete it.

Without being able to see what's going on, you (I) end up having to
apply new character styles on top of existing ones blindly, with the
result being a dog's breakfast that clogs up the document and may be
difficult to debug. If I sound unhappy, it's because lately I've been
spending a lot of time doing multiple revisions of such documents
written by others. I recently looked into the content.xml file for one
of these documents, which was responding slowly, and it was horrifying
how messy it had become.

- Robert