openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Virgil Arrington" <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:57:42 GMT
Eric,

I would fully agree with you if OO worked like WP, but they work entirely
differently.

In WP, I can be in the middle of a paragraph and suddenly change some
formatting parameter. WP will then insert the new formatting code in the
middle of the paragraph where my cursor happens to be. Formatting is then
changed from that point forward. So, when my formatting suddenly changes,
and I don't know why, I have to search for the wayward formatting code. If
you delete the code, the document reverts to its last previous formatting
code, wherever it might be. WP then *requires* reveal codes simply because
of the way it inserts formatting codes anywhere in the document in a linear
fashion (much the way a typewriter might work).

OO (and other style-based programs) format on a paragraph-as-a-whole basis.
Formatting codes aren't inserted in mid-paragraph as they might be in WP
(unless it's character formatting like Boldface or Italics, which is clearly
seen onscreen). If your cursor is in mid-paragraph and you change a
paragraph formatting parameter, OO will apply that to the entire paragraph
*without* inserting a code at that particular cursor location. Formatting
codes aren't inserted in a linear fashion as they are in WP. And, formatting
isn't changed by deleting wayward formatting codes because there aren't any
wayward formatting codes. So, even if you had reveal codes, there would be
few codes to actually reveal. And the codes that would be revealed would
simply show the same thing that can be seen onscreen (this paragraph is
double spaced, that paragraph is indented).

Like you and others, I was originally put off by the lack of reveal codes in
OO. But, once I learned the different program paradigm, I realized that
reveal codes would be totally superfluous in a program like OO because
formatting is handled at the paragraph level, not in a linear stream of text
plus codes. Since learning how the program works with paragraph formatting
and, especially, styles, I've never found any need whatsoever for reveal
codes.

Virgil