openoffice-users mailing list archives

From "Virgil Arrington" <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Codes
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 01:15:56 GMT
Wow, Doug, tell us how you really feel. ;)

Like you, I was a WordPerfect devotee for many years as our employer used
it. I bought a copy for my home computer and was very happy. Then, my
employer switched to Word. We all freaked, thinking the world would end
without our beloved reveal codes. My secretary even walked out of the office
and didn't return for three days. It was not a happy time.

I then started learning Word with its styles-based formatting. At about the
same time, I downloaded what was then StarOffice and used it at home (I wasn’t
about to pay several hundred dollars for Word). Over time, I learned how to
use styles and now, with styles, I can make my programs sing and dance.

I wouldn't dream of going back to WP. I still have it on my computer to read
documents sent to me by others, and every time I load it, it looks like a
techno-dinosaur.

Reveal codes? Why? With a styles-based program, there are no codes to
reveal. The fact that WP needs reveal codes shows how truly easy it is to
screw things up in a WP document. You can change so many parameters in
mid-paragraph, often by accident, and you can spend a lot of time trying to
track it down. Not so with a styles-based program.

Obviously, WP works for you, which is fine, but in my experience, I found
that with styles, I can accomplish my work much, much faster, AND get
consistent formatting results document wide, which is very important when
you have a document with multiple headings and other specially formatted
paragraphs. With WP, I not only had to proofread my text, but also my
formatting to make sure it was consistent.

Styles have set me free.

Virgil